Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Power of the Word


"Take everything off your desk. Today we're having a vocab test!"

Unless you have children in middle school, you probably have not thought about a vocabulary test in years! Like it or not, the words we use (and the way we use them) help paint a picture of the type of person we are. A strong vocabulary and clear, intentional speech is such an asset for leaders. 

Words are tools we use to communicate thoughts and ideas. Increasing your word bank and ability to use it in everyday conversation enhance your power to communicate effectively!

Six Random Points about Vocabulary  
  1. Be intentional with your vocabulary. Many people talk to fill empty space or to retreat from an uncomfortable position. As you build your vocabulary pay attention to what you are saying and when you are saying it.  If you say, "hello, how are you?" make an effort to actually mean it! 
  2. Double check your motives. If you are using big words to impress people I guarantee that your strategy will backfire on you at some point. 
  3. Commit to building your vocabulary over time. There are many tools and techniques available to help you build your vocabulary... books, CD's, classes, techniques.  My personal favorites are listed below. Find something, and do it!

  4. Be impeccable with your word! This is one of the 4 Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and will likely be its own blog entry in the future! In a nutshell, words have power to build up or destroy. Choose to use your words to build up! (See The 4 Agreements on the Great Books page of my blog)
  5. Speak up and don't mumble! I can still hear my first grade teacher saying this to the class OVER and OVER!  I feel like echoing her words when I encounter a mumbler! Unfortunately I run into them all the time! Speak up! Don't mumble!
  6. Don't make assumptions! I feel obliged to state that I have meet many very intelligent and dynamic leaders who either struggled with vocal communication or who were unable to communicate vocally at all. While there is a lot more to say here, I simply wanted to be sure it was mentioned!
What's working for me:
  • Webster Word of the Day! I have this site bookmarked on my computer in a file of websites I check every work day. It provides a vocabulary word each day with a definition, recording of proper pronunciation, sample sentence and some history on the word.  Its a great service. I particularly enjoy learning about the history of the the words.  Even though I already know many of the words, it is a helpful vocabulary builder. 
  • READ! Reading naturally builds our vocabulary. 
  • Listen to talk radio. I listen to NPR every morning on my way into work. I also have the link to a local NPR station through my iTunes so I can listen no matter where I am at. This can be especially beneficial if you spend your days with young kids or not talking to many people. I also find it helps jump start my brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment